What is Colon Hydrotherapy?
Colon hydrotherapy (a.k.a. colonic) is a safe, gentle infusion of filtered water into the large intestine to soften and remove accumulated fecal matter, toxic buildup and gas, by using disposable materials.
The Anatomy of the Colon
The colon is a digestive organ, a storage tube for waste and toxins. It is part of the large intestine, which is the end portion of the GI tract. It is about five feet long and 2 1/2 inches in diameter. It extends from the cecum, which is located below the ileo-cecal valve that connects the small and large intestines. It goes up in the right side of the abdomen (ascending), makes a turn by the liver and goes across the abdominal cavity (transverse). It makes another turn by the spleen, then goes down in the left side of the body (descending), and connects to the rectum.
We can say that it "hugs the small intestine".
The lining of the large intestine produces mucous that allows the fecal matter to move forward easily.
There is a rich bacterial flora present in the large intestine. Beneficial bacteria like Lactobacillus Acidophilus helps synthesize vitamin K and B Complex.
The ideal ratio of "good" and "bad" bacteria in a healthy person is 80% - 20%. High presents of pathogenic (disease-causing) bacteria can lead to digestive disorders.
Undigested food, fiber and other waste material are propelled into the large intestine by muscular contraction, known as peristalsis. As the waste travels through the colon the body reabsorbs the water and forms the stool, that is now ready for elimination.
The digestive system is controlled by hormones and the Enteric Nervous System (ENS). You might find it interesting to know, that according to the researchers there are more nerve cells in the bowel than in the spine.
We could really say, that a gut has a mind of its own!
Important Functions of the Colon
- It is a "SEWER" system of the body. It stores and eliminates toxins, digestive waste and millions of used cells (dead proteins) that the body naturally shed and replace.
- In the first half of the colon (ascending, and part of transverse) has two important functions:
a) Final absorption of minerals, vitamins (K, B Complex) and water. The blood vessels collect and carry the nutrition to the liver for cleansing, than it returns to the main blood circulation to nourish our cells.
b) Produces intestinal flora that lubricates the colon and plays a critical role in overall health.
How Toxicity of the Colon Effect our Health
Bad dietary habits, exposure to inevitable environmental toxins, stress, lack of exercise will effect the function of the digestive tract.
When the colon doesn't function normally it can lead to several problems:
- Constipation (accumulation and encrustation of digestive waste and dead cells) is one of the body's worst enemies. Medical researches proved that it is the number one underlying condition of almost every ailment in the human body. Highly toxic colon will put a huge work overload on the liver, therefore polluted, poisonous substances will get into the blood stream and deposit in the tissues, causing toxemia and cell destruction.
The GI tract also naturally shed used epithelial cells. These cells will putrefy and become highly toxic if they stay in the colon longer than necessary.
Have you experienced the odor of a dead, decomposed animal? Just imagine that these cells go through the same process IN YOUR BODY!
- When the colon is clogged it will also prevent the absorption of vitamins and minerals.
Vitamin K is involved in the clotting of the blood. Inadequate absorption from the GI tract could lead to poor coagulation and hemorrhage.
B12 is necessary to convert the inactive form of folate to an active form. This process is crucial in a formation of red blood cells.
- Beneficial bacteria have a difficult time to survive in toxic environment, which leads to imbalanced intestinal flora, the proliferation of pathogenic (disease causing) bacteria. This condition provide the perfect "home" for parasites to grow. They feed off our cells, eat our nutrients, vitamins, weaken our immune system.
Ann-Louise Gittleman's "Guess What Came to Dinner" ISBN: 0-89529-570-9 is a fascinating book on parasites for your reference.
- Imbalanced intestinal flora can also lead to the overgrowth of Candida, a sugar-fermenting yeast. It grows long roots like a tree and punctures holes into the lining of the intestine, causing the toxic content of the gut to leak into the body (Leaky Gut Syndrome).
- Increased toxicity of the colon leads to autointoxication (self poisoning) of the body, that could contribute to the development of many commonly known disorders and diseases such as:
"Disease is a warning. It is a friend, not a foe of mankind. It manifests itself in its various forms, form a slight cold to the more servere inflammation for the sole purpose of ridding the body of accumulated poisons." - Dr. Wager
Did you know that...
- The second most common cause of death in the US is colon cancer?
- More than 80 million people suffer from digestive disorders, and it is the second cause of missing work (after common cold)!
- More people are hospitalized for GI disorders than any other?
- Digestive disorders cost $100 billion dollars a year?
- More than 90 million Americans suffer from chronic illness?
Benefits of Colon Hydrotherapy
It is imperative to keep it clean in order to prevent the early development of diseases.
- Colon Hydrotherapy bathes the large intestine, softens old, encrusted fecal matter.
- The infusion of pure water induces the evacuation of toxic waste, relieving constipation without the use of harsh chemicals or drugs. It restores the natural shape of the colon, improves peristalsis.
- Colonic often offers immediate relief from gas and bloating, diarrhea, headache, lethargy, fatigue, low energy.
- Could be the best choice of treatment for "sluggish colon". Week muscles can't expel the waste, causing constipation. The water naturally stimulates the contraction of muscles, building up strong, healthy tone. Colonic is literally a "personal training session" for your visceral muscles.
- Bathing or "soaking" the large intestine removes the toxic layer that has adhered to the walls throughout the years (a.k.a. "mucoid plaque"), improving absorption of nutrients and hydration of the body.
- Regular cleansing of the elimination system restores the body's natural balance, increases the function of the immune system, provides overall health.
"My study and intensive rf colon irrigation." - Dr. Norman W. Walker
The History of Colon Hydrotherapy
"Despite treatment dating back to Biblical times, there still seems to be a great deal of ignorance about the healing benefits of colon therapy." - Dr. J. E. G. Waddington
It is fascinating to know, that according to historians the practice of colon cleansing has been around for over three thousand years. The first documentation on Colon Lavage (a.k.a. enema) is found in an Egyptian medical document from 1500 B. C. The early use of enema was also documented by the Babylonians, Assyrians, Greeks, Nigerians.
The father of modern medicine Hippocrates was also an advocate of colon Lavage. Clysters made from animal organs, hollowed cow horn, crude hollow reeds were commonly used to do the procedure. The 17th. Century became the "age of the enema". Later on colon cleansing became well respected and advised by medical professionals. They believed that abnormal function of the digestive system is a precursor of many illnesses, therefore the restoration of the GI tract is the first step to regain general health. During the late 19th. century colon hydrotherapy slowly lost its popularity as laxatives became available.
If you like cereal, the name of Dr. Kellogg will sound familiar to you. He was one of the biggest proponent of colon cleansing in the US, and standard enemas became part of his every day medical practice. In the Journal of American Medicine he reported to operate on only 20 of his patients out of 40.000 with gastrointestinal disease.
During the 1900s colon hydrotherapy equipments greatly improved. The currently most popular "closed system" was designed around 1980 in Arizona. To ensure public safety it is a requirement to register each colon hydrotherapy equipment by the FDA.
How Colon Hydrotherapy is Administered
During the 40-45 minutes procedure the client comfortably lies on her/his back, covered with a towel or sheet to preserve modesty. A sterile disposable speculum is inserted and remains in the rectum for the full treatment. There are two hoses attached to the speculum and connected to the sewer system. One for the infusion of purified water, and one for the evacuation of waste. These two cycles will alternate several times during the treatment. The water pressure (starting at 1/4 psi) and temperature (95-100 F) is controlled by the therapist, making sure that the client feels most comfortable.
The water softens old, encrusted fecal matter, dilutes toxins and stimulate the muscular wall of the colon to contract and expel its content into the evacuation tube. During the release cycle the therapist gently massages the abdomen to stimulate the removal of waste and promote relaxation.
At the end of the treatment the client will be sent to the bathroom for the final release.
Colon Hydrotherapy will not interrupt your daily activity, most clients feel reenergized and resume there work day after the session.
Laxatives vs. Colon Hydrotherapy
Laxatives chemically stimulate (irritate!) the muscular wall of the colon to contract an expel its content. As the colon tries to get rid of the irritating substance, it will get rid of everything else that is loose with it. It is very easy to become dependent on laxatives, since they become progressively less effective with time. The frequent use of these substances will damage the lining of the GI tract, and it could permanently destroy the ability of the colon to work on its own. It could interfere with proper digestion, disturb electrolyte balance and cause dehydration, which can lead to decreased cell function and tissue damage.
Colon Hydrotherapy bathes the large intestine, gently softens and removes waste through the rectum, therefore the digestive processes are not compromised in the upper GI tract. The infusion of water improves the hydration of the body, increasing cell function.
Standard Enemas vs. Colon Hydrotherapy
Both enema and colon hydrotherapy involve infusion of water into the colon through the rectum.
During the procedure of an enema the infusion of water or saline solution takes place via a small sterile hose which is removed from the rectum after the filling cycle is complete. The water is retained by the patient for only a short time, followed by the evacuation of the waste. The cleansing benefit is limited to the recto-sigmoid area, and due to the short "soaking" period, the old accumulated fecal matter is not going to be softened and removed.
Colon Hydrotherapy procedure involves the insertion of a disposable tube (speculum), which will remain in the rectum for the whole treatment. There are two hoses attached to the end of the tube. One for the infusion of the water, one for the evacuation of the waste. These two cycles will alternate several times during the treatment. The retention of water ("soaking") is longer, that promotes hydration, as well as softening and removal of old fecal matter. The cleansing benefit extends beyond the recto-sigmoid area all the way to the cecum, where the large and small intestines are connected through the ileo-cecal valve.
The text of this web-site is not intended to be written as an advice for self diagnosis, or self treatment. We're not responsible for misinterpretation of the information contained herein. If you have any health concerns please contact your physician. Colon Hydrotherapy is not a cure for any disease or ailment, it is a method of effective bowel cleansing.
It should not be used as a substitution for physician's care and medical treatments.